icon
icon

Running after smoking?

vinyl jones

The Freshmaker
Jul 19, 2005
Vinyl Jones personally loves to medicate before a run or a bike ride. For me, the first thing it does is alleviate some of my inflammation and general "I'm getting old" pains. After the first mile or so the endorphins nave now kicked in and helped out too.

Basically, when I'm at like mile 15 on the bike or something, or if I'm on mile 2 of a run, it's REALLY crucial for me to tune into my body's signals; and even more important (for me) is to get "in the zone" where the outside world tunes out and my body can communicate to me without interference. Cannabis helps me a LOT with cardio, I start focusing on the trees moving with the breeze and the thump of my arteries as they fuel me with crucial nutrients...it basically helps me make my workout from "mechanical and just something you do", into "this is how nature works and you are part of it, so do what you're body was built to do by mother nature". I know, hippie hippie blah blah...but that's how I think.

Lifting days, just a LITTLE bit before my lifts slows me down enough to keep form and make sure my timing is right for breaks/sets to keep my heart rate at the right spot (I tend to get really amped on lift days so I sometimes want to lift too much or go too fast). AFTER my lifts, it's protein and N2O/Creatine again (I do this before I work out too), then after just a bit I fully medicate to bring myself down to a level where I can relax in the hot tub and give myself some recovery. Then, again medicated, the munchies help me intake proteins and healthy foods to fuel the recovery of my recently "pushed to the limit" muscle groups and nervous system. It also helps me 'slow down' once I've done an hour of lifting and have adrenaline and wonderful body chemistry coursing through me...allows me to meditate before bed and get sleep, stuff like that.

Dec 9, 2006
to me running while medicated is not good,let you body naturally produce all the energy and clean your lungs out then after 1 hour medicate-imo-i would run the buzz out of me...i'm just talking because i will never get a good running cause my bones are so weak,really any exercises is a plus anyway with or with out meds-imo-

vinyl jones

The Freshmaker
Jul 19, 2005
to me running while medicated is not good,let you body naturally produce all the energy and clean your lungs out then after 1 hour medicate-imo-i would run the buzz out of me...i'm just talking because i will never get a good running cause my bones are so weak,really any exercises is a plus anyway with or with out meds-imo-
That's a really good point Badco. I've never really thought about that too deeply until this post. So do we know if cannabis binds with receptors that keep the body from filling those same receptors with it's natural chemicals (aside from the obvious)? (for example: when you take an opiate regularly, the opiates fill in your receptors and the body figures out it doesn't need to make any more of that particularly helpful set of chemicals, because the opiates are already doing the job). We know cannabanoids interact with certain receptors and such, but do we know if it interacts with things like endorphins or Melatonin (doesn't just help you sleep, it also keeps circadian rhythms in check too, just an example).

Anybody have any good links on that in particular? I don't even know if there's good peer reviewed scientific data on that subject in particular...Vinyl Jones needs to fill this hole in his knowledge and greatly appreciates any discussion on this topic (links too, I love me some good articles).

Mike949

WT Advanced Member
Dec 29, 2009
(for example: when you take an opiate regularly, the opiates fill in your receptors and the body figures out it doesn't need to make any more of that particularly helpful set of chemicals, because the opiates are already doing the job)
I've heard that opiates can cause respiratory depression both in the short and long term, so if you're smoking cannabis on top of that, it may not be a good idea to go out jogging. But I really don't see the harm in jogging while under the influence of just MMJ. I've done it and never had any problems

vinyl jones

The Freshmaker
Jul 19, 2005
I've heard that opiates can cause respiratory depression both in the short and long term, so if you're smoking cannabis on top of that, it may not be a good idea to go out jogging. But I really don't see the harm in jogging while under the influence of just MMJ. I've done it and never had any problems
Oh yeah, opiates absolutely can and do cause respiratory depression, amongst a whole other bunch of stuff, that would not work well with running...sounds like a recipe for bad times. I'd definitely never go running on an opiate (luckily I don't have to take them), they scare me actually.

I'm thinking more about what sort of chemical behavior is altered with cannabis use, how it might relate to the production of other chemicals our body already is supposed to be making to achieve a similar end result (from the perspective of the body itself).

Jun 23, 2012
its unconfirmed but i believe due to my chronic medicating while performing above average intensity hill training (bunny hops) for my short distance track competitions and i may have suffered a brain injury of some kind. i could be slightly paranoid at the moment but i feel its important to say something before its too late for me. i need a MRI/MRA but due to no insurance ill have to find unknown means to get the tests. i also feel that, based on post-successful D1 collegiate experience, the way in which i breath by not completely utilizing the diaphragm but relying more upon chest breathing may have restricted oxygen levels in my brain thereby causing the overbearing secondary headache throb of death by reaching hilltop. it felt like running the 400m for the first time as hard and fast as possible and feeling that terrible head throb after finishing the race but multiplied at least several times this time.

it hasn't gone away now almost 5 days later and it feels like my head is caving in. im not saying that its completely the mean green medicine but a possible combination with years of smokeless tobacco use and maybe the recent addition of pre workout supplement that contains creatine and No2 allegedly. aspirin really helps contain the head caving feeling and im not sure my other medicine is such a great idea anymore.

more to come when i fork over some results and if i don't then you know what happened... thanks

nanab

Hi, Im New!
Aug 28, 2012
I dont think its a bad idea, it helps the blood flow the muscles. I have gone swimming a few times after the medication, had affected me so far ;)