icon
icon

Running after smoking?

Silent D

PUFF, PUFF, PASS
Aug 24, 2009
i like to go on hikes after medicating it makes nature seem more alive. plus it helps me finish faster because I'm more focused on reaching the top.

TRex

BUDologist
Aug 13, 2009
trex001.spaces.live.com
Ivy said:
I would and still do run after smoking, I will also mountain bike. But I never felt comfortable lifting weights after smoking.

Does anyone here know of any recent studies linking smoking to heart attacks? I'm including some links from 2000. I remember this coming up in the past and not real sure how to react to it. It appears that your chance of heart attack is greater the first hour after smoking. If that is the case I'm not so sure about running immediately after smoking. Of course I do believe *age* will play a role. As it always does.

http://tinyurl.com/2sqmpu

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2000/03.02/marijuana.html

Much love and peace
I wouldn't trust that report. Most of these studies are done in a biased manner, with the objective of making marijuana look like the cause of something bad. The studies are then reported in a negative tone and the results are exagerated at best. This latest report posted in May of 2008 is a clear example of this negative tone towards marijuana: (see: http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...se-may-raise-risk-of-heart-attack-stroke.html). As you can see by the title it makes it seem that the evidence is conclusive and factual;however, upon reading the rest of the article, several doctors state that the findings are not scientific fact, mainly due to the way the studies were carried out. Dr. Christopher Granger, a professor of medicine at Duke University who has done studies of risk factors in cardiovascular disease, has this to say about the study "It is an interesting study, but I don't think it is particularly profound... It looks at a relatively small number of people and the relationship between marijuana and this particular protein in the blood stream. There is a relationship, but there is far from proof that it is cause-and-effect, and if it is cause-and-effect that it would have an effect on the people using marijuana."
Dr. Kenneth Mukamal, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who has studied the effects of marijuana use on cardiovascular disease, states "I consider this study exploratory, by definition, because of the technique they used, sort of a shotgun approach,"
Given the previous statements the title of the article is biased and negative.

Just my two cents.

EarthMama

Peace To ALL BEINGS
Aug 19, 2009
I was doing an excercise routine called Turbo Jam, a mixture of kick boxing, dance, and Brazillian Martial Arts. I lost 10 pounds....Then...I got depressed and gained all my weight back, when I quit excercising...While I was excercising, I noticed after I smoked, I couldn't breathe as well as without the medication so, I never smoked and worked out again...I truelly beleive excercising is so good for so many things in your life and am just glad to hear others are excercising, too, whether before or after medicating. It's really great for you to workout. I am starting back into excercising with Turbo Jam, and will smoke after my workouts...Happy, Healthy, medicating, everyone! And keep up the excercising. It really pays off in the long run!

Dec 22, 2009
i used to run cross country back in high school and only one time i smoked before practice, it just didnt feel the same when i finished...

smoking after is more rewarding anyway because its almost llike i earned it...haha

Gourmet Greenroom WLA

Come smoke with "BOB"
Mar 25, 2009
A strong sativa is excellent right before you work out. It will stimulate your mind and not give you that couch locking feeling. Enjoy your work out!!
:bolt:

GGR San Diego

Mpcarl49

Lifes too short to medicate with bottom shelf meds
Apr 15, 2008
i smoked some sour diesel and then went on a 8 mile bike ride yesterday! :tortue-musique:

i highly reccomend sativas such as trainwreck , sour d, super silver haze ... tthese are all awesome sativas to start your workout with

trixiedot

pass the dutchie
Dec 17, 2009
going for a run after a smoke sesh is awesome. It's so refreshing and relaxing. allows your mind to ponder as you run. it's soooo relaxing, for me at least

<3

jswedlun

man on the moon
Oct 13, 2008
ya ive done several 5k races high i think it really helps cuz u just get in the zone, there's even a high school in so cal that supposedly medicates before every race and they were state champs for cross country when i was in school, If you watch dr. tashkins lung cancer research interview on youtube he explains how marijuana actually opens up your lungs yet tobacco tightens them up.

HappaGuy

MMJ Patient Advocate (not a doctor nor a lawyer)
Jul 24, 2007
Before and after running, sez I.

I've seen some research that says THC actually helps clean up your lungs. Seems true to my experience, and my somewhat skeptical rec-signing doctor has been checking my lungs for years now and can find nothing to complain.

Apparently, THC is a known expectorant. That is to say, it causes coughing. It also causes secretion of clear fluids from the mucous membranes in your lungs that lift up any crud to get coughed out, - mechanically not biochemically, sort of like soap suds work.

:rainbownote:

bubba!

Hi, Im New!
Dec 31, 2009
NO this is GOOD for u I am a college athlete and I do enjoy a good medicating session then go on a run . Running after smoking helps your lungs recover from smoking even though it doesn't effect ur lungs nearly as bad as a cigarette exercise is good. Also is lowers ur blood pressure and if u smoke alot of weed it can raise ur blood pressure .. Exercise Balances it all out :)

Sep 4, 2009
I like to wake up in the morning, smoke a fat bowl or two, eat some breakfast, then about 30 mins after I come down (about 2-2.5 hours after initial smoking) I like to go in and work out then.

I can work out when I'm stoned but not nearly as well, I always feel I'm misjudging the way my muscles are feeling and feel I'm pushing too hard/not enough/etc. The biggest problem I have w/ working out when I'm stoned though, is when I go to do my stretch routine which I always do b4 working out, I feel like I cant accurately judge how far I'm really stretching/pushing that stretch, and I worry that I might accidently go too far and hurt something or hold it for too long. So yeah, I like to workout after I come down, but i love to smoke the morning b4 and after shower.

Running when your stoned though it makes it much easier for the time to pass, just zone out. But I also get much tireder and breath heavier and sweat more when I'm stoned, especially off an indica.

Jun 23, 2009
I think it depends on the strand. I use to smoke before joggin and be able to last longer and run more when smoking than not (I'd feel the fatigue but not care as much), though other strands would render me useless and have me lying down exercising my mouth..

I currently have a strand that keeps me relatively clear minded that I enjoy dancing on, so I'm curious to try it before exercising and see if it helps push me harder or keeps me from being able to get in a good workout.