icon
icon

Mini Split Ac For Tent

Jan 11, 2011
hey trackers. i currently have a 4x8 tent with two 1000 watt hps inside. i want to use co2 in my tent so im trying to set it up like a sealed room. i have a 8 inch vortex scrubbing air through an 8 inch phresh filter. i have another 8 inch vortex blowing through both hoods and venting outside of the room. i have the tent in a uninsulated garage, so ac is a must. and i have the option of using either a 2-burner co2 propane burner, or a tank. the ac i am using is a 9000 btu portable ac that i have outside the tent, and ran ducting to blow cold air into the tent. my temps are fine but the problem that i am encountering is this "ballooning" effect i am getting with my tent. the high cfm intake from my portable ac, along with no exhaust fan is causing the walls of my tent to blow outwards because of the positive pressure. and i am worried that it is blowing my co2 out with it. i was thinking about getting a minisplit ac to hopefully solve this problem. does anyone here have experience using a minisplit ac in their grow tent? do minisplits recycle the air that its cooling(takes in hot air from tent, cools it, and blows it back into the tent)?? will a minisplit cause my tent to balloon out the way the portable ac is doing. is there another way i can put my portable ac so that it doesnt cause this balloon effect?

the reason i think the portable ac is making my tent balloon out is because it is outside my tent. at the moment, the portable ac draws air from outside the tent, cools the air, and blows it back inside the tent. since there is no exhaust, there is nowhere for the pressure caused by the excess cfms to go, which creates positive pressure therefore causing the tent to balloon out. if a minisplit could recycle the air, it would be drawing air in from the tent at the same time as it blows cool air out....im thinking this would cancell out any positive pressure and not cause my tent to blow outwards. i hope this makes sense to everyone, its was kind of hard to describe everything in words, but let me know if you guys need me to further clarify my set up. thanks everyone! :HuggingComp:

V

Van da MAN

the balloning effect is happening because your ac is drawing air out side your tent and blowing it into the tent.

if you have room put the ac in your tent.

they also make portable ac units that draw air from a duct and blow cold air out another duct.

a mini split would have to be put in your tent for you to have a non positive pressure tent. they also make ducted mini splits which is just like the ducted portable unit.

if you do ad co2 with a positive pressure it would be a waste.

in a small place like your tent....once your burner gets up to the ppm levels the pilot is good enough to keep the ppms around 1300. thats ofcourse if you dont have any leaks. so i would advise to go the bottle route instead of a burner. but if you like a burner than go that route. i would only go burner if it was hooked up to natural gas. if your changing out propane bottles might as well change out just the co2 bottles instead. your ac will thank you.

Jan 11, 2011
:bigrastajoint: Van, you are indeed the man. thanks a lot. glad i decided to ask you guys here because for some reason two different people from two different hydro stores werent understanding what i was saying when i was trying to explain it to them verbally. thankful for you trackers.

my only problem with putting the portable ac inside my tent (aside from space and heat) is that wouldnt it be exhausting out smelly air along with my co2?

i think my only choice is to get a minisplit ac to solve this problem, or one of those portable ac units which draw air in and blow cold air out different ducts. anybody have a brand of either type of ac they would reccomend? i was thinking shinco after doing some research about them...any suggestions?

V

Van da MAN

yes the only option is to go with a ducted mini split or just get a ducted portable ac.

try putting the portable ac in your tent. i'm sure it will not balloon. if it does you have positive pressure and you will blow out smelly air as with your co2 as well.

Oct 5, 2009
hey trackers. i currently have a 4x8 tent with two 1000 watt hps inside. i want to use co2 in my tent so im trying to set it up like a sealed room. i have a 8 inch vortex scrubbing air through an 8 inch phresh filter. i have another 8 inch vortex blowing through both hoods and venting outside of the room. i have the tent in a uninsulated garage, so ac is a must. and i have the option of using either a 2-burner co2 propane burner, or a tank. the ac i am using is a 9000 btu portable ac that i have outside the tent, and ran ducting to blow cold air into the tent. my temps are fine but the problem that i am encountering is this "ballooning" effect i am getting with my tent. the high cfm intake from my portable ac, along with no exhaust fan is causing the walls of my tent to blow outwards because of the positive pressure. and i am worried that it is blowing my co2 out with it. i was thinking about getting a minisplit ac to hopefully solve this problem. does anyone here have experience using a minisplit ac in their grow tent? do minisplits recycle the air that its cooling(takes in hot air from tent, cools it, and blows it back into the tent)?? will a minisplit cause my tent to balloon out the way the portable ac is doing. is there another way i can put my portable ac so that it doesnt cause this balloon effect?

the reason i think the portable ac is making my tent balloon out is because it is outside my tent. at the moment, the portable ac draws air from outside the tent, cools the air, and blows it back inside the tent. since there is no exhaust, there is nowhere for the pressure caused by the excess cfms to go, which creates positive pressure therefore causing the tent to balloon out. if a minisplit could recycle the air, it would be drawing air in from the tent at the same time as it blows cool air out....im thinking this would cancell out any positive pressure and not cause my tent to blow outwards. i hope this makes sense to everyone, its was kind of hard to describe everything in words, but let me know if you guys need me to further clarify my set up. thanks everyone! :HuggingComp:
A mini split will do the trick, , it will stop the ballooning affect as long as the Air Handler unit is inside your tent and the compressor is outside, be sure that you are ducting the hot air out of your garage as the compressor makes a lot of heat. Another way to do this is to do a chiller system. A chiller system will be a little more $$$ but way more efficient. Good luck.

cm.truth

WT Regular (still smokin, but been away for awhile
Mar 16, 2010
:bigrastajoint: Van, you are indeed the man. thanks a lot. glad i decided to ask you guys here because for some reason two different people from two different hydro stores werent understanding what i was saying when i was trying to explain it to them verbally. thankful for you trackers.

my only problem with putting the portable ac inside my tent (aside from space and heat) is that wouldnt it be exhausting out smelly air along with my co2?

i think my only choice is to get a minisplit ac to solve this problem, or one of those portable ac units which draw air in and blow cold air out different ducts. anybody have a brand of either type of ac they would reccomend? i was thinking shinco after doing some research about them...any suggestions?
yea, mini splits are great if used right... if youre looking for more info about them & the cheapest place online to get mini splits, then check it out here: www.justminisplits.com