icon
icon

Manually flipping lights ...

qltyqt

New, I'm High !
Jul 22, 2010
Does anyone other than me flip the lights Manually everyday ?? I had a timer but dont use it .... The very first grow I did, I used it and it came out CRAP !! ... (not because of the timer) ..... but for the last 2 grows I have been flipping by hand .... I think it forces me to be more aware of the plants ... I have been late flipping on a few occasions .... but I just make sure they get a minimum of 12 hours dark .... its a pain on the weekend when I want to sleep in .... but its kinda cool still being all bluried eyed saturday morning looking at a closet of goodness !!

Feb 7, 2010
Generally not a good idea, some strains are very sensitive and a minor irregularity in the light schedule could cause a plant to hermi.

Dec 13, 2009
i wouldnt jus because when theres a day u cant get home or jus not thr at the exact time to turn thm on or off..... but if ur gonna do tht , thr would b no waking up early for me , thy r gonna hav to run on our schedule....u dig?lol.
anyone ever hear bout putting in a MH instead of hps in the last week to really resin/frost them up??? i nvr hav ,but heard people swear by it.
also whn u said a min. 12 hrs off, the lights,....sumtimes u leav them off longer? i heard people tht hav flowered 11 on an 13 off, an came out jus as bomb.... i go 12-12.

qltyqt

New, I'm High !
Jul 22, 2010
kush 420420 said:
i wouldnt jus because when theres a day u cant get home or jus not thr at the exact time to turn thm on or off..... but if ur gonna do tht , thr would b no waking up early for me , thy r gonna hav to run on our schedule....u dig?lol.
anyone ever hear bout putting in a MH instead of hps in the last week to really resin/frost them up??? i nvr hav ,but heard people swear by it.
also whn u said a min. 12 hrs off, the lights,....sumtimes u leav them off longer? i heard people tht hav flowered 11 on an 13 off, an came out jus as bomb.... i go 12-12.
They stayed a lil longer in the dark on a few occasions(three I think)... once went to a Laker game and came home 2 hours after lights should have went on.... turned on for only 10 hours that day .... but for the most part I have not been more than 10 min +/- ..... I just find that turning off and on by hand FORCES me to take better care of them ... I have not had ANY hermie ... and if you look at the pics in my other threads they look good !! .... I have a couple ideas on light schedules (never tried them out yet)

1. I want to try to leave the lights on for 24-48 hours then lights off for 24 hours then chop her down (when harvesting)

2. I want to try different length days .... 14 hours on then 12 hours off ... that would add up to almost 10 extra days of light over an 8 week flower period

We all try to simulate outside on indoor grows, but im not from here .... I want to try to tweek the light schedule ... even though eveybody says it cant be done .... I have already proven to myself that the 12/12 rule does not have to be exact ... and I have a feeling plants can still flower with a lil more light .... of corse you need the initial 12/12 (I think) to get the flower hormones going ... but I think if you up the light just until you get stress or vegg. hormones I can get better yields ..... I am thinking of setting up a seperate flower room for experiments ...

Apr 29, 2009
Yea man def best to use a timer. My friend did the same thing and never had an issue but then got stuck out of town and everything was screwed. Its always that one time and then your FUBAR lol. And when you have all that work and time you never want to see that happen.

If your gonna get a timer though dont get one of those cheap digital timers. They have a internal battery in them and when that dies it leaves your lights in whatever mode it was in. So if lights are on and there supposed to shut off, they will just stay on. And you cant change the battery either! Stay with the cheaper mechanical timers I've never had issues with them unless you bump them and chang the time.

C

cephas

You are crazy man....that is too much work!

You're right about being able to fluctuate lengths, but CannaGarden is also correct about certain strains re-acting badly, so unless you are dealing with solidly proven genetics, watch out....

Otherwise...yes you are alone on the river of not using a timer.............shoot, those are the only things that let me sleep at night...love my light timers....

qltyqt

New, I'm High !
Jul 22, 2010
cephas said:
You are crazy man....that is too much work!

You're right about being able to fluctuate lengths, but CannaGarden is also correct about certain strains re-acting badly, so unless you are dealing with solidly proven genetics, watch out....

Otherwise...yes you are alone on the river of not using a timer.............shoot, those are the only things that let me sleep at night...love my light timers....
:lol: ...... I actually really enjoy lights on and off ....everyday after work Im counting down to lights on ....then I just sit and smile while looking at them for about 15 min ...but I can do the same with a timer too.... I dug out my timer after that laker game (2 hours was too much fluctuation) but havnt set it up yet .... about 2 hours and 15 min +/- to go :whoo:

X Runner

WT Irregular
Aug 6, 2009
In l989, I had progressed into a 5 HID light system but did not have the wiring expertise or access to plug and play modules like today. The only timers available at the local general store in Hawaii's outback were those cheap mechanical timers. Ever try synchronizing 5 of those things to go off/on within a reasonable amount of time and consistently? Short answer: impossible. I spent a whole year just plugging and unplugging the bud lights. This is when I also decided that it was easier just to leave the 2 veg lights on 24/7. I didn't have too much else to do so it really wasn't too much of a problem. Puna Budder must be pretty stable or I had a pretty good watch.

kratos015

WT Advanced Member
Feb 3, 2009
Well personally I think you should just use the timer as it helps you to be precise about it as someone above said, some strains are sensitive to it. Plus if for some reason you happen to forget it'll mess with all of your hard work all because of one time you forgot. In veg I could see how you'd be able to get away with it, but when it comes to flowering it needs to be 12/12 exactly as even a few minutes could screw it all up.

sofakingg

bigdickdaddyfromcincinati
Jul 30, 2009
X Runner said:
In l989, I had progressed into a 5 HID light system but did not have the wiring expertise or access to plug and play modules like today. The only timers available at the local general store in Hawaii's outback were those cheap mechanical timers. Ever try synchronizing 5 of those things to go off/on within a reasonable amount of time and consistently? Short answer: impossible. I spent a whole year just plugging and unplugging the bud lights. This is when I also decided that it was easier just to leave the 2 veg lights on 24/7. I didn't have too much else to do so it really wasn't too much of a problem. Puna Budder must be pretty stable or I had a pretty good watch.
1st set all timers to the same time. plug 1st one in. Wait 1min. plug next one in. Wait a min, etc. This worked for me back in the day.

323cheezy

The Louie Ambassador
Feb 15, 2010
your making this hard on yourself....
Ive tried it without a timer once..... and damn it was hard ...
Always having to be home at a certain time....
But i still manually turn my lights on most the time in veg...
but once its flower time ....its just a stressful routine....
A timer cant hurt... and i dont think i could do it without one....
Plants have circadian rythms.... just like we do...
And changing times ....missing hours here and there....(and trust me youll get home late some evenings and this could stress out your plants..).
Lord knows ive forgot too set my timer many times ... coming home at 3 in the mourn too find out the tmer never turned offf...Gettin like 15 hours of light in flower phaze...
But a couple tmes never hurts...
Just get the timer ...i suggest..
Not that it wont work manually ... its great too spend lots of time with the flowers....
but eventually youll be burned out.....and make mistakes

sfgj

WT Regular
Jun 22, 2010
smokefrogg-growjournal.blogspot.com
i'd never do that, use the technology, a decent timer is cheap unless you need to run several 1ks off of it or something

well hope it works out for ya', not something i'd ever recommend to anyone ever EVER but whateva', it's your grow, do whatever you want

with threads like this, i gotta' wonder, did you really want anyone's advice anyways? or merry with just going on doing it how you've been doing it...

rollee

Making thing happen
Apr 3, 2009
I would buy a timer and set it and forget it. I would not wont to piss off my females, if you keep tuning the light on and off at different times those females are going to get pissed and fight back......but that ones opinion

WayTooDanked

Dank Smoker Extraordinaire
Sep 9, 2010
I don't manually change anything, but I religiously go inside my room 3 times a day constantly checking and rechecking . . .

Your right , automated systems do let your guard down . . .

Most people just think "set it and forget it" and it should take care of it's self.

Too many variables when growing indoors . . .

:bounce:

rollee

Making thing happen
Apr 3, 2009
Believe me I watch my grow at least 10 hours a day. I dont forget about anythng that goings on in my area.
Your right , automated systems do let your guard down
some automated systems like timer can help and yes there is alot of different variables when growing indoors rememeber dont piss off the females in your life, they'll fight back and make your life hell.........

qltyqt

New, I'm High !
Jul 22, 2010
rollee said:
Believe me I watch my grow at least 10 hours a day. I dont forget about anythng that goings on in my area.

some automated systems like timer can help and yes there is alot of different variables when growing indoors rememeber dont piss off the females in your life, they'll fight back and make your life hell.........
Ya, I set my timer back up last night !!! ... I was making a compost tea brewer DIY ... and forgot to turn the lights on :doh: .... got an extra 1 1/2 hour dark .... I think that might be why I havnt had problems ... they have always gotten too much dark .... never too much light .... but if I keep it up, I see a day where I leave to go to work, and forget to turn off the lights ..... and that would really ruin everything ....

Oct 9, 2009
Unless your on 24 for veg, manually flipping for veg can be just as bad if not worse by changing sex completely. I have seen it happen under veg with light fluctuating between 15-17 hrs on and the plant change from a girl to a boy which is worse than a hermie imho. Purple urkel x white widow is like that.