icon
icon

Led's

mooniegoogoo

Killing pain as we speak
Jun 27, 2009
If it makes you feel better the avereage 40 inch TV uses 400watts per hour, your Computer consumes about 150-200watts per hour, you got a few lights on in your house thats another say 200watts an hour, you use a microwave, washer, dryer at all you're talking using 1000watts at a time, washer and dryers use the same as about a 600watt each. So if you break it all down, the average small house consumes probably 3000watts a day. Dont trip:)
forgot to add a washing machine, hair dryers, man all those things suck up so much power. Once you start topping $5000 a month then they might question you, or if you were to jump from $400 monthly payments to all a sudden $2500 a month, even then, if the bill is paid, Edison is happy.

onaeun

in need of medicine
Oct 2, 2009
I think the only time youll get airy buds with leds is if you use it like an hid in flower...like 12 inches from the canopy. Unless its the kessils, you need to push it closer to 6 inches from the canopy. Meaning you use leds almost like t5s if used as a sole light source...where the light fixture ends...thats prettt much your effective foot print for flower if you want dense nug

Nov 28, 2007
Once upon a time I had 600 dollar power bills. Then I started up a 7000 watt grow in a bedroom and the bills jumped to about 2500 or so dollars per bill.... No problem. Fast forward one year, and I started a 16 k watt grow in the garage..... First power bill of 5500 dollars, and I was approached by law enforcement shortly there after. DWP are rats, and if you go too big, they WILL report you.

I have been told that eddison won't....
I didnt want to put exact numbers too it, but you pretty much summed it up. haha

What happened after the knock and talk?

Nov 28, 2007
that sucks! no way id go that big, i think it'd be an ass ton of work! but i do envy you a little. of course i know you've been putting in work longer that i have. what i love about wt'er is the way so many people are willing to share knowledge and help rather than criticizing.

And I agree with you that it is great that everyone is so friendly. But as a defense to people on other boards, it does kind of get old hearing the same questions over and over again from people that have done ZERO research. Especially about larger scale grows.. Not saying that you do this or that this is the only reason people are dicks, but its one of the main ones.

I would say for the most part if you show that you have put in the research and the work people on all boards will be more than willing to help you.

Once again, not targeted at you personally, just as information for anyone reading that is wondering why they aren't getting answers or help..

Nov 28, 2007
Def not talking about you. To be honest none of your posts have stuck out to me ever before. If you were an offender they most definitely would. haha

To be honest I don't see it too much here. Only every once in a while

onaeun

in need of medicine
Oct 2, 2009
Going pretty good so far I think. I can tell the XJ I have under it loves the quality of the light...everything in the path of the middle of the beam is faster along than everything else, and the leaves are broader as well. I have 400w of hps and LEDs on the other side of the room so I can't say how good it would be stand alone, but it seems solid to me. If I can afford 3 more in a few months, I'll probably consider it..

I think with 2 h350s, you shouldn't have a problem pulling up to a qp per plant if veged long enough. Main thing I was concerned about was whether the penetration and spread of light inside the canopy would be sufficient for a big plant. What I'm seeing though is that even nodes not directly in the path of the seeable beam of led light are forming flowers at an acceptable rate. With the blackstars if you're not seeing led light on the node, and no hid if you have it in the room, you're not going to get much growth...a few hairs and that's it. Doesn't seem to be the case with the kessils.

burnraid

Dec 30, 2010
I can't seem to grow BIG dense buds but... I also don't know what the hell I am doing lol I am just content my 240w Blackstar grows my plant and my energy bill doesn't look any different than before not using a grow light (literally I haven't noticed even a 5 dollar jump). Only if i was a baller would I use HID lights but I can't be doing that

onaeun

in need of medicine
Oct 2, 2009
I think you can get good sized and dense nuggets with the 240, just only for one plant instead of however many you can fit in a 2x3 beneath the fixture. For the 1-2 plant grower, led only is a good option.

onaeun

in need of medicine
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I find that to be true. Try getting the light 6-8 inches from your canopy. The few inches will really help with intensity (nug denseness) although it doesn't seem like much, with LEDs it makes a big difference if you're only using LEDs. At 6-8 you'll not have issues with light bleaching with the 240s. Something you might wan a try next cycle, see if you get larger denser nugs at the top.

Skinzy420

It's not Easy being Green
Aug 15, 2008
I just got some real nice setups my buddy makes for Fish Tanks...I am gonna run a 225 White Lite setup with 1.5'' diodes putting out 375 W of lighting power. Kelvin rating is 6000-7000. I will arrange these in the middle. Then I got 450 White and Blue Combos committing 435 nm nd veg wavelength growth. For flowering. I have 800 Red/Blue combo putting out 750 W of lighting power in the 435 nm range. I think LEd's have come a long way since they first came out. I have no high expectations with this, just want to see if it can be done!

Will peep it back with updates!

Badmf

"Servin' Great Bud Since '65"
Jul 4, 2008
It's physics folks they have little penetration and need a re-design and don't talk about prices, one rep tried to convince me that the savings in electric and bulb replacement was worth the price, hmm if you don't get thr crop you can't pay the bill no matter how much you save in costs. Hell they are just light emitting diodes and shouldn't cost that much, no revolution yet but lets see what the future brings.For now HPS is the way with LEDs in veg and supplemental.

sofakingg

bigdickdaddyfromcincinati
Jul 30, 2009
Just received my 2nd blackstar 240. I have a 30"X30"X78" tent. Have been using 1 240, and several of those 12" sq cheapo lights, w/blue and red leds. You know, the ones that don't work. Also have a single 2 ft T-5 in opposite corners. Been getting decent results flowering 4 in 5gal smart pots. Now there is 2 240's and the T-5's only. I keep the tops about 10, 12 inches from the fixtures. 3, 5 inches from T-5's. We'll see in about 8 weeks. Love them blackstars ! Now I'm lookin at the "chrome" series ! Maybe next year.

sofakingg

Jul 30, 2009
So glad I got that 2nd blackstar ! Great harvest ! Big beautiful nugs ! Normally keep a 12 to 16 inch space between the tops and lights. This time going with 8 to 10 inches. At this point, will never go back to mh/hps. So much easier to control temps, and so much savings in electricity !

sofakingg

Jul 30, 2009
My tent is 40"X40". Not 30x30. Fits very nicely in a bedroom closet. I'm getting 2+ oz's per plant, and harvest 4 in 5 gal smart pots every 8,9 weeks. I'm a happy boy !