icon
icon

How am I doing?

Feb 4, 2018
This here is my first post so i'd like to start off by saying hello fellow growers!

Okay guys/gals i'm after my first real harvest... I budded before just to see if I could do it and I did! Unfortunately I harvested much too early and didn't use any nutrients (just rich soil from my backyard, lol) but hey, I got there... Now I'm taking things much more serious with the intent to be self sufficient so here's where I stand as of now..

Equipment

1) 4'x4'x80" Vivosun Tent
1) 1kW Hood with cool tube @ 50% dimming about 18" from top of plant
1) 2 Gal Wire mesh trash can with a 100% cotton cloth shopping bag so its basically a smart pot...
2) 8" Fans for air circulation
1) Trellis for SROG
1) GH Veg, Micro and Bloom nutrients
1) 300CFM fan cooling light and exhausting hot air from tent to outside
1) 4" duct running directly from my ac vent in my office

Organic soil consisting of worm casting and compost with amendments added per the typical "super soil" recipe (bone meal, blood meal, Epson salt, lime, perlite)

Environment

Lights off temp: 76F
Lights on temp: 78-84F

Humidity: Unknown at the moment (temp, humidity monitor will be here tomorrow)

Background

I started this plant with a root stimulator which was a 5-15-5 and I've only fed her with that twice at about 250ppm..I'm expecting my nutes to come in the mail tomorrow and shes due for a feeding as its been 2 weeks since her last one.. so tomorrow will be the first time I use the GH nutes on her..

I just topped her after her 6th node appeared so shes got two new tops coming up..

I have a few questions if you guys would be so kind as to help me out here.

I'm concerned that my 2GAL smart pot is not sufficient, what do you all think?
Is this 1kW light at 50% adequate for veg? I intend to up it to 75%- 100% for flower assuming I can maintain the tent temp...
Speaking of temp, I cant seem to find a straight answer.. Just how hot is too hot????
I would like to see a yield of about a half # and grow 4 or so plants, is this unreasonable?

Any advise would be very much appreciated, I'm all ears guys. I've done hours of research and watching videos so I think I'm doing alright here but like I said I'm not an experienced grower. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you very much for any time you take schooling this n00b.

-Peace!

Feb 4, 2018
Generally for soil grow 1 gallon of container equals 1 foot tall for the plant. So with two gal containers you can grow a 2 foot tall plant.

Now for temps I have found 75-85 during veg to be ideal. During flower 70-80 but I like to keep it around 75-76. As the temp gets higher than 76 the smell from your grow will increase. And when temps get above 80 the terpenes start to evaporate and the smell gets really bad.

As for your other questions I will leave that for growers who are more knowledgeable and experienced.

Feb 4, 2018
Generally for soil grow 1 gallon of container equals 1 foot tall for the plant. So with two gal containers you can grow a 2 foot tall plant.

Now for temps I have found 75-85 during veg to be ideal. During flower 70-80 but I like to keep it around 75-76. As the temp gets higher than 76 the smell from your grow will increase. And when temps get above 80 the terpenes start to evaporate and the smell gets really bad.

As for your other questions I will leave that for growers who are more knowledgeable and experienced.
Agreed, the lighting will be great for what you want as well

Give them plenty ventilation and just experiment with trial and error no single grow is the same as there are always different factors set yourself a journal (sorry if this is lol) and we can work along with you

Feb 4, 2018
In that small of a tent with that big of a light you're already pushing the max for blooming you're going to end up with more issues if you go above 50% power how do you plan on Cooling your tent waiting

And as for pot you should have a gallon for every month that you plan on growing your plants I don't know how tall you plan on getting them so it's a judgment call on the pot

Feb 4, 2018
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice.

From everything I've seen and based off the yield I'd like I'm thinking I should have about 2-1/2' plants in a SCROG... I'd like to see an ounce dry from each (at least?)..

Imhigh85 - You know how in homes you ac vents in ceilings? They are about 8"x14" so what i've done is covered it with cardboard and sealed around it, cut a 4" dia hole in the center and stuck that 4" foil accordion type ducting in there and ran a good length of it into the tent..It works rather... I'm pumping 74F air into the tent every 1/2 hour or so which is keeping the tent at an acceptable temp.. I forgot to mention I have two 8" fans blowing on the plants...

As for turning the light up during flower, I may just turn it up to 75% and open the tent or just end up getting a window unit and routing the air into the tent... That's if you guys think I need to turn it up during flower... IDK you tell me.

So should up my pot size, huh? I was under the impression the whole craze around smart pots was that you could grow very large plants in smaller pots..

Thanks again, I'll keep ya posted on my progress.

Feb 4, 2018
I don't think you need to turn your light up an AC will not hurt your plants at all and on the smart pots it is always a better idea to have more space than what the plant need then not enough the smart pots are there to increase airflow and oxygen to the roots​