icon

Has anyone ever tried MARINOL?

red_eye_ked

Now where did I put that lighter?
Jun 12, 2009
I was reading on-line, and I came across something that said:

*MARINOL Capsules is indicated for the treatment of:

1.anorexia associated with weight loss in patients with AIDS; and
2.nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conventional antiemetic treatments.

I was just prescribed this and I wonder if anyone has ever tried it? I still have my recommendation with 150% understanding, and it helps me SO much when I can use it, I can't believe it. However in the interests of continuing to improve my overall health we are trying this, I am just losing to much weight. Before I try it I am interested in getting the opinions of others too.

Thanks in advance.

mooniegoogoo

Killing pain as we speak
Jun 27, 2009
Whats your dosage? I've never used it, but a family friend does because of respitory issues and it works really well for him. Put on 10 pounds over a 3 month peroid.

THC_TLC

Thankful for Legal Cannabis
Feb 11, 2007
My doctor prescribed marinol as a "legal" alternative to medical cannabis.

(Although I highly respect this doctor, he has never supported my medicinal use.)

It was for migraines.

I found the marinol caused a high state of anxiety when I used it.

Natural and concentrated cannabis are much preferable. The other cannabinoids present in the whole plant provide balance and additional medicinal effects.

It's good to have a prescription if you are subjected to drug testing.

flowrider

WT Regular
Jan 19, 2008
I was prescribed marinol when I had lymphoma, Didnt work at all and did cause anxiety..Hated it and threw it away. :hippie:

Dec 17, 2007
I have used Marinol in the past but it's definitely not in medicine cabinet. It just gave me the munchies super sick and that was about it. Nothing like rippin' a fat bongload, but thats just me.:hippie:

Skinzy420

It's not Easy being Green
Aug 15, 2008
it made me throw up and I couldn't sleep :nono:

Stuff is made from a bunch of crap thrown into a capsule :doh:

Oct 17, 2009
My mom had lost 30 pounds (and she was pretty skinny before) and was given Marinol to try and reboot her hunger. She slept nearly 24 hours after the first dosing, so I removed that drug from the medicine cabinet.

red_eye_ked

Jun 12, 2009
Here was the problem for me.. I have lost 60 lbs in last month and half. I am going in for more blood tests tomorrow. I got a cortisone shot in my shoulder last night and that helped a lot too.

Anyway I am not sure what to do now, since the MARINOL is strictly out of my price range at this point. My insurance won't cover it and it's $450.00 for a 60 dose supply.. lol no surprise, I was in pharmacy today for an hour with dry heaves. I finally got home and medicated today!! woohoo got some flowers and broke out vaporizer. Anyway I ate a little soup, and feel a lot better, but I HAVE to get some real food in me again soon.

lol funny thing is.. you feel sick, and don't want to eat. When you do medicate you feel better and want to eat, but can't go anywhere to get the food you need since you can't medicate and drive. Oh well..

Skinzy420

It's not Easy being Green
Aug 15, 2008
If your insurance carrier won't cover it..Forget it...No way is it worth it :nono:

BabyBoomer

Until there are none, adopt at least one.
Oct 9, 2006
www.theanimalrescuesite.Com
red_eye_ked said:
Here was the problem for me.. I have lost 60 lbs in last month and half. I am going in for more blood tests tomorrow. I got a cortisone shot in my shoulder last night and that helped a lot too.

Anyway I am not sure what to do now, since the MARINOL is strictly out of my price range at this point. My insurance won't cover it and it's $450.00 for a 60 dose supply.. lol no surprise, I was in pharmacy today for an hour with dry heaves. I finally got home and medicated today!! woohoo got some flowers and broke out vaporizer. Anyway I ate a little soup, and feel a lot better, but I HAVE to get some real food in me again soon.

lol funny thing is.. you feel sick, and don't want to eat. When you do medicate you feel better and want to eat, but can't go anywhere to get the food you need since you can't medicate and drive. Oh well..
Can you get the food first? Like before you medicate?

Or call a Pizza Delivery?

You really need to eat. How about that Ensure stuff?

I really don't know, just throwing out ideas, but, please eat. Sixty pounds in six weeks, that is really, really serious.

Healing hugs and good thoughts

red_eye_ked

Jun 12, 2009
Of course I can cook at home, and there are alternitives. I just am very sick atm, and have a hard time standing for any length of time. I was at the doctors today, and I am going tomarrow. I went to a Thai place today can got a light chicken soup ( Eatten half of it already ) lol Once I could medicate I felt 100% better.

Also Thank you all, I have no intention of paying that much because of my insurance. lol I have glaucoma too, so I have no concern about getting my meds (Flowers). I have 2 recomendations.

stanley

Medicated since 1968
Jan 5, 2006
I was given Marinol by the VA during the worst of my radiation treatments to try and kick start an appetite.

I didnt get any real help from it, as soon as I could smoke it seemed to have more impact than the Marinol...

(Yeah, ironic the Feds will give a Vet Marinol, but bust him in the parking lot for his MMJ.)

COVaper

Hi, I'm Old!
Nov 24, 2009
I have a prescription but I only use it in place of MM when I travel. For me it increases appetite and anxiety. It only slightly decreases nausea, the symptom I would use it for. My ins. covers it otherwise the price would not be worth it for the slight relief it offers me.

Regards

Apr 5, 2009
very interesting, didn't know that had such a bad rap sheet. but i guess i should've assumed that, probably a lot of filler and other unhealthy things

VooDoo Chile

Stoned Immaculate
Apr 3, 2009
humboldtrelief.org
stanley said:
I was given Marinol by the VA during the worst of my radiation treatments to try and kick start an appetite.

I didnt get any real help from it, as soon as I could smoke it seemed to have more impact than the Marinol...

(Yeah, ironic the Feds will give a Vet Marinol, but bust him in the parking lot for his MMJ.)
Ironic isn't teh word, dude.

That's straight bullshit.

notrealname

Do it in the dirt!
Mar 1, 2010
Wow bring up a dead thread. Can't help but add to it.
I've suggested that those I know look into get a prescription so as to keep them legal fed wise, more legal ground at a work place. Most people I know don't care for it. Edibles are cheaper bang for the buck, and they seem to feel better. I usually see the pills in 5 mg. Suggested, was bite one a swallow two. I'd suggest starting off with biting one and swallowing one. You can find the pills on the internet. Suppose to keep the pills in the frig.
For more info check:
Tetrahydrocannabinol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia