icon
icon

Do animals have souls?

Kuga

Hi, Im New!
May 3, 2010
I dated a girl who went to church every Sunday, she was very pretty, smart and had a big heart.

Which is why it totally blindsided me when she told me that animals do not have souls. Obviously she was coming from a religious standpoint, and I know she wasn't trying to be hurtful, this is just what she believed. She also has never owned a pet.

As for me, I am not a regular church goer but I've had family dogs ever since I can remember. Is this really a Christian/Jewish belief that animals do not have souls?! I really thought that dog loved me :(

T

tokermom

You say she never owned an animal? Thats' why she did'nt know. I believe they do have souls & i've had many pets' in my lifetime.

If it is a religious belief, then thats' their choice to believe whatever they want. My pets' show love & appreciate being loved. Do they have souls'? I think they do! :angel:

biggd420

WT Regular
Feb 11, 2010
What is a soul anyway? How much does it weigh? Where does it rest? How many can fit in one room? I personally think that a soul is evidenced by personality, individuality, etc.

I'm pretty agnostic, but I fknow that my two little cats have as much of a chance of having a soul as any of us. I mean, they have preferences in what they eat, which of my friends they like, where they sleep. They're usually pretty happy, but sometimes they get depressed. I mean, any evidence of humans having a soul can be applied to any animal.

F

Fire_of_December

I personally believe all animals have souls- each one I've known has been different. I'm sorry she hasn't had the joy of knowing any animals personally- I think it would really change her perspective!

Budd Good

NEEDS WORK!
Jan 17, 2009
I've heard this from a friend I had in the past who was also well trained in christianity and bible sciences. At the time, they quoted something from the big book touching on something similar.

It's hard to say because I've had pets all my life, treated them like family (human being) and every pet eventually develops a strong personality that is almost human.

It could just be intelligence, or habitual programming, but it seems that this type of behavior stems from extreme human interaction.

I recall this friend using the mirror-like reflection that would come shining out of the animal's gaze as evidence, or testament to this "souless" theory.

Bogart McKilo

Carrying the torch of Woodstock Spirit
Jul 1, 2007
If you loved an animal and spent time looking into their eyes and heart...you just know. Yes, Virginia, animals have souls.

xxjscottxx

Dude, one is all you need...
Nov 21, 2009
biggd420 said:
What is a soul anyway? How much does it weigh? Where does it rest? How many can fit in one room? I personally think that a soul is evidenced by personality, individuality, etc.

I'm pretty agnostic, but I know that my two little cats have as much of a chance of having a soul as any of us. I mean, they have preferences in what they eat, which of my friends they like, where they sleep. They're usually pretty happy, but sometimes they get depressed. I mean, any evidence of humans having a soul can be applied to any animal.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am an Agnostic too; I think it is ridiculous to completely rule out a belief if there doesn't exist an experiment to discount it. While it seem statistically unlikely to me that Human Beings are the absolute dominant power in the Universe, I am not able to disprove that, so why would I fight to the death to disprove something that has no current way of testing? In this day and age, labeling yourself an "Atheist" requires just as much of a leap of faith as does a Christian or Muslim.

While I may not necessarily believe in a soul, I have no hesitation in entertaining the idea that my loved ones(human or not) and I will be reunited some day in one way or another; Either through some unseen afterlife, or at the very least, through the decomposition and reintegration of our atoms into all of the other living things on the planet. Eventually, we will all be star dust again; co-mingling with matter from other planets and galaxies...

This is the same viewpoint all people should have; If we weren't so quick to jump to conclusions and stick with them, the world would be so much better...

It saddens me how we live in such an age of science and information and yet so many people still hold an anthropocentric view of the world;

"Animals aren't special like us... We have language and are self conscious so we must be more important than them..."

This is the viewpoint of an ignorant person. Many animals have just as much sense of "self" as we humans do, this has been proven in countless tests with animals as "simple" as common magpies...

Just look at this video, and then tell me this animal isn't thinking about complex things- I know people too stupid to make a ring out of play-dough, let alone something this beautiful; This not only proves that animals have feelings, but shows that they have complex thoughts and can use them to create art:

[yt]TMCf7SNUb-Q[/yt]

Now watch this video; These bird show more intelligence than half of the people I encounter in every day life. I'll bet many people who attended High-school would have a hard time figuring this one out for themselves, yet this "mindless" bird was able to get it, right off the bat:

[yt]lrYPm6DD44M[/yt]

Language is another thing that is not unique to humans. Whales, Dolphins and Elephants have all been recorded having complex conversation, using just as many different sounds and gestures as us people.

People have to be freaking blind to say animals aren't like us; Hell, we've taught primates and birds to speak the same exact language as us and have conversations! Gorillas using sign language, and parrots that actually learned to have meaningful conversations with it's owner like, "How are you feeling today?" and the bird would give a relevant, intelligent response, "tired"; "hungry", "mad!"

There was even a parrot that taught it's self to ADD numbers when the scientist was only trying to see if it could count shapes. She would hold up two blocks and say, "how many?", to which he would reply "2". Then she help up one block and asked again, "How many?", to which he promptly replied, "3". "No", she corrected him, then again held up the same block, "How many?"; "4" he replied. It was only then that she realized this parrot was showcasing a relatively complex "human ability", that was not taught to him. It is now scientific fact that many animals have the mental capacity to count and keep track of numbers. This may have evolved to help certain animals take stock of their food/mate situation and adjust accordingly, so as to preserve the species.

Intelligence and abstract thinking are things definitely not limited to the human race; The idea that only humans are "imbued" with some god-given, super-talent is left over from the "intellectual" dark ages when the Church had absolute power over the people. Back then, we didn't believe in racial equality, gender equality, or environmental conservation. We now know that those destructive beliefs are inherently wrong, and have discarded them for more humane behavior.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum it up; Individuality is trait that many "educated" people can't seem to see in animals; Many close-minded people can't understand that things may be deeper than their initial interpretation, so when they look at a dog or a cow or a bird, all they see is a "mirrored reflection" in it's beady little eye...

Hopefully one day, people will stop being so ignorant and just look at the facts available to them. We don't live in the same world we did 2,000 years ago; Human understanding has changed almost immeasurably since we first learned to create simple tools and language; Now that we are able to look at the world through eyes unclouded by fear and misunderstanding, It's time we reflect that in our actions and in our laws. :hippie:

P.S. Sorry for the rant there, but at least it was a hopeful, positive rant! :thumb:

xxjscottxx

Dude, one is all you need...
Nov 21, 2009
Bogart McKilo said:
If you loved an animal and spent time looking into their eyes and heart...you just know. Yes, Virginia, animals have souls.

Looking back on this comment, I thought about a my dog that we recently had to put to sleep;

I'm already crying after getting only this far, at the thought that some people would imagine a "heaven" without animals!

If there is some eternal afterlife that Humans alone go to after we die, it would be excruciatingly painful to me, to go till the end of eternity without all of my past pets...:cry:

As I said before; I am Agnostic, but if turns out there is an afterlife:

Ivy

Dabz away!
Sep 4, 2007
Yes. More loving and honest than a lot of humans. And on a side note... I would imagine St Frances would be mighty bummed having no animals in heaven, and would of addressed the issue long, long, long ago....:hippie:

kennabis

*son of the sun*
Jan 24, 2008
"Do animals have souls?" why of course they do :doh:

do "all" humans have souls?!? it seems not...:caked:

anything, and everything atomic has a soul :thumb:

and, we all share this same soul, we are all "1"

animals and humans are similar, yet, we are different parts of the "whole" being, remember, we are all one. a toe is a toe, and a finger is a finger, but, they collectively make a human, when you put them all together, so, is a human a toe, or finger?!? or is a human a soul, encapsulated by a bag of water?!?

i believe a human being is intelligent water :whistling:, whom created what we call "body", so we could "walk" around! we live on a water planet, we are mostly water in our mass, and water is the single most important element in our human experience, we are water! and we are one!

i am a priest, and my path is to help animals who have been hit on the road ways. i stop when i am no risk to myself, or others, i gather the remains, and i bury as close to the scene as possible. most of these animals have gone to the light, some have not, and i ask that they do, i connect them with the light of heaven/creation, whatever you feel comfortable calling it. i also do this out of respect for the fallen animals family, they are not far from the accident, usually. and i pray for the survivors, i pray for the family of the fallen animal, that they may be safe, and free from the dangers of the roadway. we can all get caught in an energy loop, that is what "ghosts" are, trapped energy, that has a foot in two realitys, and is more partial to one over thee other :dizzy:

when we see the importance of a soul in every living thing, man and woman will be at peace, with themselves, and everything around them.

my question to this thread is, does contemporary man have a soul?!? or, has it been traded, for things that shine when the sun hits it?!?

blessings to the holy "1", which we are "all" apart of.....

Zuma Star

Hi, Im New!
Dec 30, 2010
Do Animals have souls!
Yes, Yes, Yes,
Animal communicator Sonia Fitzpatric, says that animal's souls stay with you forever, and that your animlas can see them, and also that they will re incarnate into other pets.
I know that my past dog's souls are with me,
or at least I hope they are <vbg>
:hippie:

B

blindboybluescat

The teachings of my Church are that all living things have a "soul", even the Earth has a soul. The entire Universe has a soul so of course animals and plants have souls - anything with the spark of "life" has a soul We are a part of the Earth's Soul and the Universe's Soul and a part of each other. Like Kennabis said we are all One.
I wrote an article about it once, but it's very long and complicated.

DocBear

Hi, Im New!
Apr 16, 2011
IAOFM.com
Kuga, I can't speak for either religion - I've known folks in both faiths who believed that animals do, and others that they don't. Jesus did speak of how the Divine knows when even a sparrow falls, hinting that all of Creation is Loved by the Divine, though. I was blind for 15 years and had two guide dogs over that time - I can't imagine them not having a Spark of the Divine within them, which is what a Soul is - the Divine created them from Its own Essence. I've no doubt at all that they have Souls.

If you look at the ancient Shabda teachings - with books such as the Adi Granth from India, for example, or the writings of Sri Gary Olsen, their modern Light and Sound Path, all that we know have Souls. Every plant, insect, fish, animal or person has a Soul, and all are slowly climbing the ladder through reincarnation until this 'classroom' plane that we live in no longer serves, at which point the Soul is prepared to rejoin the Divine that it came from.

Do dogs really love us? Absolutely - and cats, horses, and other animals as well. Even plants respond to the spoken word, to actions of the people around them and to music - there's been a great deal of research on it. All that is around us is on the same journey that we are - and everything, seen that way, is at it's heart, sacred.

With all those great qualities, she sounds like a nice girl to get to know. We all have somewhat different opinions - but that's part of the joy of life!

All the best to you
I dated a girl who went to church every Sunday, she was very pretty, smart and had a big heart.

Which is why it totally blindsided me when she told me that animals do not have souls. Obviously she was coming from a religious standpoint, and I know she wasn't trying to be hurtful, this is just what she believed. She also has never owned a pet.

As for me, I am not a regular church goer but I've had family dogs ever since I can remember. Is this really a Christian/Jewish belief that animals do not have souls?! I really thought that dog loved me :(