icon
icon

CONCENTRATES + your dog; can = DEATH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemonkey

Nor Cal girl
Feb 4, 2007
Last week I was in So Cal visiting friends. I took my one-year-old pup for her first trip. She did really well, slept in the car during stops, and generally did way better than I thought she would. She is a terrier x mix, a rescue, so she does tend to eat anything she finds laying about.

I stopped in to a friends coop, a spotlessly clean place. It was the only place I brought the dog into. We were on the floor playing with her, so I let her off her leash for just minutes, watching her the whole time. Somehow she got a piece, strip, or chunk of concentrate! We had no idea she ingested anything at this point. She only weighs 12 lbs.

She started acting silly mere moments later. By the time we got her back to the hotel, she was acting sleepy, almost droopy. It was Valentines Day, so we were off to sushi. We knew it would only take about an hour at most, since we were walking right next door to the hotel. We turned cartoons on for her, and covered her with her blanket, and left. We thought she was just exhausted.

Not even an hour later, we returned to the hotel room. Poor puppy was drooling, and I mean drool was everywhere. She had soaked her blanket and her toys. Poor thing was wide-eyed and not responding to claps or snaps of fingers. Her breathing was VERY shallow.

So, we are 500 miles from home, so we yank out the phone book, and call the animal hospital. They refer us to a closer one, and off my sweetie runs with the dog. (I have found no one wants a hysterically crying woman in an emergency hospital)

The doc knew immediately what was wrong with her. He said that in Studio City it happens a LOT. Go figure. No, they do not care if you have/smoke cannabis. We confirmed that she had been in a club that day. He took a blood test, and she was off the charts. He took another and added it up. The THC amount in her meant a concentrate for sure. He said that her size meant it would hit her much harder than a larger dog. He said THC will not kill an animal, but they can stop breathing!!

She got an IV for a few hours, her Toxiban charcoal chunk to ingest, and they watched her for about 5 hours. This cost me $800. Id pay anything for her health, but ouch.

Afterwards, feed them plain rice & boiled chicken, all in very small amounts. The doc said that the protein in dog food would re-activate the THC in her body. It stays in the fat cells for a while.

*****PLEASE make sure if you handle, use, or have concentrates of ANY KIND that your animals ingestion of even a tiny amount of it can kill them. PLEASE dont leave any lying around. Make sure they cannot get to the container, or even eat crumbs of edible concentrates; this includes brownies, cookies, etc. A bud or two will not hurt even the smallest dog, but its the concentrates we have to watch out for. Dont assume that even a spotlessly clean looking place does not have some tiny amount somewhere.*******

B

BrattonBasher

Glad to hear the dog is OK. This should be a wake-up call to some Trackers who purposely medicate their pets, thinking it could not be harmful to them.

MMI

8924 Reseda blvd., Northridge CA (818) 718-6336
Oct 12, 2007
firemonkey said:
Thank you, she is fine now. She did sleep for about 3 days.

Let me tell ya my Queensland Terrier mix got into my brownies once and ate 2 and a 1/2 pieces, what an experience that was,she was trippin it made me nerveous she even looked different in her facial appearence ,It scared the hell out of me at first until I figured out she ate some of my edibles and figured she would just have to sleep it off......Peace and Love D

zbestwun2001

Probationary WT-
Apr 29, 2007
www.petorphans.org
That's a very sweet looking pup.

I am so glad she is fine.

Like BB said, some people get off medicating their animals because "they think" their animals dig it.

Personally I don't go for that and really feel it borders on abuse.

zb

zuulsog

this stuff is nice !
Jan 27, 2009
Similar thing happened to my dog, he ate about 5-6 roaches and had to stay overnight in the hospital with iv's . Yep-800 bucks to the doc. For 800 bucks you can probably buy a nice cabinet to keep your meds in that your dog can't get into !
Posted via Mobile Device

Feb 8, 2009
firemonkey said:
Last week I was in So Cal visiting friends. I took my one-year-old pup for her first trip. She did really well, slept in the car during stops, and generally did way better than I thought she would. She is a terrier x mix, a rescue, so she does tend to eat anything she finds laying about.

I stopped in to a friends coop, a spotlessly clean place. It was the only place I brought the dog into. We were on the floor playing with her, so I let her off her leash for just minutes, watching her the whole time. Somehow she got a piece, strip, or chunk of concentrate! We had no idea she ingested anything at this point. She only weighs 12 lbs.

She started acting silly mere moments later. By the time we got her back to the hotel, she was acting sleepy, almost droopy. It was Valentines Day, so we were off to sushi. We knew it would only take about an hour at most, since we were walking right next door to the hotel. We turned cartoons on for her, and covered her with her blanket, and left. We thought she was just exhausted.

Not even an hour later, we returned to the hotel room. Poor puppy was drooling, and I mean drool was everywhere. She had soaked her blanket and her toys. Poor thing was wide-eyed and not responding to claps or snaps of fingers. Her breathing was VERY shallow.

So, we are 500 miles from home, so we yank out the phone book, and call the animal hospital. They refer us to a closer one, and off my sweetie runs with the dog. (I have found no one wants a hysterically crying woman in an emergency hospital)

The doc knew immediately what was wrong with her. He said that in Studio City it happens a LOT. Go figure. No, they do not care if you have/smoke cannabis. We confirmed that she had been in a club that day. He took a blood test, and she was off the charts. He took another and added it up. The THC amount in her meant a concentrate for sure. He said that her size meant it would hit her much harder than a larger dog. He said THC will not kill an animal, but they can stop breathing!!

She got an IV for a few hours, her Toxiban charcoal chunk to ingest, and they watched her for about 5 hours. This cost me $800. Id pay anything for her health, but ouch.

Afterwards, feed them plain rice & boiled chicken, all in very small amounts. The doc said that the protein in dog food would re-activate the THC in her body. It stays in the fat cells for a while.

*****PLEASE make sure if you handle, use, or have concentrates of ANY KIND that your animals ingestion of even a tiny amount of it can kill them. PLEASE dont leave any lying around. Make sure they cannot get to the container, or even eat crumbs of edible concentrates; this includes brownies, cookies, etc. A bud or two will not hurt even the smallest dog, but its the concentrates we have to watch out for. Dont assume that even a spotlessly clean looking place does not have some tiny amount somewhere.*******
OMG how terrible, I am soo happy your baby ok.......now I know what could happen when a dog eats edibles...Am happy dogs ok and everything good...By the way what kind of dog do you have?

brokeneckdog

High, I'm Aging!
Feb 5, 2008
I am very glad you fur kid came thru okay. It could have been much worse.
Our fur kid can not stand the smell of MMJ. She will make this really screwy face, even if you present her an edible, like brownie or coffee cake, she's outta there. :painkiller:

KushMeister

Terminally Chill
Jan 28, 2008
Very, Very happy, that your pup will be alright.
Ouch on the $800, but like you, I'd take out a second mortgage on my house to save my pets.

But to tell ya the truth...

I want somma what that pups been smokin! :)

MissPurps420

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 13, 2009
Thank god your little angel is okay. she is soo friggin cute! But man i'm keeping my concentrates locked away from now on. i'm already a little nervous, i definitely would have been hysterical if i was in your position.

firemonkey

Nor Cal girl
Feb 4, 2007
Thank you, everyone, so much. I really just wanted to make everyone aware that a small amount of a concentrate is a lot different than a bud or joint or trim, etc. Also, even if you keep them all locked up at home, this one happened at a friend's coop that is spotlessly clean. I mean squeaky clean. At some point, someone dropped a flake or chunk. She did pause under a desk for a moment. So when you are out with your pet, be aware that he/she can lap up something in a second. I know Ivy wrote about this too, but I wanted to re-awaken everyone to this potential disaster. Sometimes they can sleep it off, but watch their breathing!

My dog is a terrier x. She was a rescue and I got her at 2.5 months old, so I don't know what else she is. She has no black markings, and people tell me that an all pink/brown dog is unusual. People have asked me if she is a "Brownie" but I have no idea other than a terrier of some kind. She is a real sweetheart. I lucked out. But she does eat everything she finds and this is not her first time to a hospital (although first time with THC)

FM

BabyBoomer

Until there are none, adopt at least one.
Oct 9, 2006
www.theanimalrescuesite.Com
Thank you for the update on Puppy. And for posting the information for others.

It really is true, the vet does not care what you do in your private life, they just want to save your pet. So be up front with them. Get the proper treatment necessary.

Puppy dog tail wags and kisses to you and yours from me and mine.

:love:

Jeffster

We decide which is right, and which is an illusion
Jun 25, 2008
I'm glad to know your dog is OK, FM, and I'm chuckling at that "new toy" photo! Priceless. :hippie:

Jul 4, 2008
firemonkey said:

wow , thanks for this very important info . , Im glad your puppy recovered . Take care ok ..

GooRoo

All the Ladies of D.P.S.H.C.!We Love Our Patients!
Feb 23, 2009
Oh no that is the saddest thing ever!! I hope your puppy is okay!

BabyBoomer

Until there are none, adopt at least one.
Oct 9, 2006
www.theanimalrescuesite.Com
THis happened to me a few time, My dog scavenged through my bag and ate I don't at least 5 cookies. Mind you These are homemade and 1 cookie will knock me out. From my experience just have her sleep it out and save those doc fees. I know it's stressy especially seeing them really fucked up but like humans let them pass out they will wake up. This has happened to me more than once.

Or not :doh:

When it comes to my pets, "doc fees" do not matter when it comes to saving their life and future health.

That's my opinion.

Thanks for sharing yours.

firemonkey

Nor Cal girl
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks, she's fine now, but what the doctor said was WATCH THEIR BREATHING!!

Especially if they are small like her.

Her breathing was extremely shallow and she has had problems like this before. She ate a Black Widow at 4 months, mushrooms under the oak trees at 6 months, was with a dog that ate Decon at 9 months, and now this. So she has had shallow breathing, low blood pressure and almost died a few times. I wasn't going to take any chances. She had so much drool coming out of her mouth that she soaked her doggie blanket. It was pouring out of her mouth.

I did explain to her that I had my eye on a Dolce & Gabbana handbag and she ate any hope I had of acquiring it! I've explained this to her every day now. lol

I'm just happy to have my puppy. :angel:
:kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.